Sayings and quotes have always been a great way to express ourselves and share our thoughts with others. Whether it’s a motivational quote to start the day or a simple reminder to smile, these words can have a powerful impact on our mood and mindset.
And what better way to display these inspirational words than through art?
Chalk quotes are an easy and fun way to add some personality and positivity to your classroom decor.
With just a few simple materials, you can create your own personalized chalkboard art that will make you smile every time you see it.
I took my youngest to his first grade Open House the other night and I loved how inviting his new teacher’s room was from top to bottom. It was fun and functional.
One thing I noticed was that she had some really cute chalkboard quotes around the room – and that my sloppy handwriting would have never been able to recreate them! Or could I?
Turns out anyone can make a master chalkboard display even if freehand is not your thing! Check it out!
To get started, all you need is a chalkboard surface (either a pre-made chalkboard or some chalkboard paint), chalk, and your favorite sayings or quotes. You can find plenty of inspirational quotes online or come up with your own favorite sayings.
Once you have your materials ready, it’s time to start creating! Here’s a simple tutorial to get you started:
- First, grab your supplies: Chalkboard of choice, chalk, a pen (preferably with a cap), and some washi tape.
2. Next, create or print off your favorite quote.
Now, you could also make this a number of the week. Or a problem of the day. Maybe a journal question? It is completely up to you!
Just as an FYI: I tried this 2 different ways: one where the writing was facing me and one where I flipped the design as a mirror image on my computer before printing and then was able to lay that upside down on the board.
You might want to check out:
Need some new ideas for organizing your classroom environment? This 326 page digital book has you covered!
Includes 50 ad-free articles from Organized Classroom, including topics such as:
- Guided Reading and Lesson Plan Organization
- Options for Making Extra Space in your Classroom
- Easy DIY Projects for Making Mundane Office Supplies Cute Again
- Morning Math Suggestion that Kids will be Begging to do
- New Ways to Use Old Supplies
- A Quick Tech Tutorial that will Save You Money on Classroom Decor
…and even more!
Includes 9 additional freebie files! No need to enter in an email address for each one separately – just click and go!
From my own personal experience? Use the option where you just standard print it and the words are facing upwards towards you. MUCH easier.
3. Now – grab your paper template and rub some chalk on the BACK side of the paper. Flip over and place so it’s facing the chalkboard. Use some washi tape to lightly secure so it doesn’t move on you.
4. Then, grab your pen and use the pen cap to trace over anything you want transferred onto the board. Press hard to as much of the chalk shows up and you have a clear image.
When you pull up the paper (carefully), it will be light, but definitely able to be seen.
5. Last up: Use the chalk to go over the image again and to brighten it up.
Hang or set out and you are good to go – with no one the wiser that you had a little help along the way.
If you are using colored chalk, you can even go over the traced part with that – the tracing is pretty light, so it will easily be able to be covered with different chalk colors.
This would be a nice weekly update to the room when you are looking for a change here and there – and I bet the students would love to see a new quote each week too!
Maybe even do a quote from a book and run a trivia contest to see who knows which book.
Whether you’re looking for some motivational words to start your day or just want to add some personality to your class decor, DIY chalk quotes are a great way to do it.
With just a few simple materials and some creativity, you can create beautiful and inspiring art that will make you smile every time you see it.
So why not give it a try? Your favorite sayings are waiting to be turned into beautiful works of art!
Prefer just to print and display? I’ve got you covered with this set of 5 free printable chalk quote posters.
They are 8×10 size for a typical frame, so you will need to trim after cutting on standard letter-size paper.
Have fun and we would love to see your chalkboard creations on Organized Classroom on Facebook too!
See you there,